Published Date: 2012-02-14 10:09:18
Subject: PRO/EDR> Dengue/DHF update 2012 (07)
Archive Number: 20120214.1041135
DENGUE/DHF UPDATE 2012 (07)
A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
In this update:
Cases in various countries:
Malaysia (Selangor and national)
Brazil (Volta Redonda, Rio de Janeiro state)
Brazil (Mato Grosso do Sul state)
Brazil (Pontal, Sao Paul state)
Brazil (Parana state)
Brazil (Rio de Janeiro municipality, Rio de Janeiro state)
Brazil (Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state)
Bolivia (Santa Cruz department [state of province equivalent])
- Thailand (national). 5 Feb 2012. According to permanent secretary for public health MD Paijit Warachit, during 1-19 Jan 2012, there have been 332 patients infected with the dengue virus in Thailand with one death reported, compared with 291 patients and no deaths in the same period of last year .
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Thailand can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1pXN. - Mod.TY]
- Malaysia (Selangor and national). 13 Feb 2012. Selangor recorded the highest number of dengue cases, with 1271 reported from last month [January 2012], health minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said. This figure was almost half of the 2854 cases nationwide. So far, 11 deaths have been reported, he added.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Malaysia can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/009L. - Mod.TY]
- Malaysia (national). 10 Feb 2012. Between 29 Jan and 4 Feb , 4 dengue-related deaths in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Sabah, and 545 cases nationwide were reported. The figures indicated an increase of 57 cases or 12 per cent compared with the previous week, in which 2 deaths and 488 cases were recorded, said health director-general Datuk Seri Dr Hasan Abdul Rahman.
He said 6 states showed an increase in dengue cases compared with the previous week, whereby Selangor recorded 20 cases (9 per cent), Kedah (19 cases or 238 per cent), Kelantan (16 cases or 114 per cent), Sarawak (15 cases or 115 per cent), Johor (12 cases or 57 per cent) and Perlis recorded one case or 50 per cent.
- Sri Lanka. 12 Feb 2012. Dengue fever has claimed 21 lives, and 4611 cases were reported island-wide from January to mid-February this year , the Health Ministry's Epidemiology Unit stated. January 2012 recorded 3866 cases, while 745 cases were reported during the 1st 10 days of February 2012. Colombo and Gampaha district have the highest number of deaths and cases. Six people have died from dengue in Colombo district, while in Gampaha, 4 deaths have been reported.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Sri Lanka can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/009M. - Mod.TY]
- India (Kerala). 12 Feb 2012. The state capital is battling a dengue outbreak after the city recorded 139 cases in the last 2 months. Out of the 139 cases, 98 cases have been reported from the corporation area.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Kerala can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1dR5. - Mod.TY]
- Ecuador. 6 Feb 2012. With just a month and 5 days into this year , officials have confirmed that there are so many classical dengue fever cases that the situation can be defined as an epidemic, said Mariana Pihuave, of the Health SubSecretariat. So far in 2012, there are 654 dengue cases in the coastal area and 829 nationally in 9 provinces of the country.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Ecuador can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/00El. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Volta Redonda, Rio de Janeiro state). 11 Feb 2012. In the 1st month [January] of this year , there are 3 confirmed dengue cases and 172 reported cases in the city.
http://diariodovale.uol.com.br/noticias/4,52810,Populacao-de-Volta-Redonda-teme-nova-epidemia-de-dengue.html#axzz1mIj6WXU9 in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map showing the location of Volta Redonda, Rio de Janeiro state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/0Uym. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Mato Grosso do Sul state). 11 Feb 2012. In the 1st 5 weeks of 2012, 1473 cases of dengue have been registered in Mato Grosso do Sul, according to the state Secretariat of Health. During the same period in 2011, 2722 people contracted the disease. Tres Lagoas is the municipality in the state with the highest incidence of [dengue] cases per 100 000 population, with 597.3.
http://www.jptl.com.br/?pag=ver_noticia&id=46827 in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Mato Grosso do Sul state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1kdj. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Pontal, Sao Paul state). 10 Feb 2012. Pontal has registered 101 dengue cases, and another 85 await results of tests. There has been one death.
http://www.jornalacidade.com.br/editorias/cidades/2012/02/10/com-1-morte-pontal-ja-tem-101-casos-de-dengue-neste-ano.html in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Pontal, Sao Paul state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1Kxk. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Parana state). 8 Feb 2012. Of the 151 municipalities in Parana that registered dengue cases last year , 77 reported the 1st cases of the disease in February .
http://www.aen.pr.gov.br/modules/noticias/article.php?storyid=67629&tit=Secretaria-da-Saude-alerta-para-periodo-critico-da-dengue in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Parana state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/00CC. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Rio de Janeiro municipality, Rio de Janeiro state). 8 Feb 2012. The number of dengue cases in Rio city was 58 per cent higher in January 2012 than in January 2011. In January 2011, 1658 cases were registered versus 2625 in the 1st 30 days of this year . Among the factors contributing to the advance of the disease are the return of dengue [virus] type 1 and the arrival of type 4.
http://www.portugaldigital.com.br/noticia.kmf?cod=13062664&canal=158 in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Rio de Janeiro municipality, Rio de Janeiro state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/00GS. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state). 8 Feb 2012. The situation is of concern, according to the municipal secretary of health, Lamartine Godo, although the municipality registered 63 per cent fewer reported cases in January of this year  (186 cases) compared with the same period last year  (69 cases).
http://www.diariodecuiaba.com.br/detalhe.php?cod=406500 in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[Is the 2011 number correct? Should it be 295 cases for there to have been a 63 per cent decrease in 2012? The 7 Feb 2012 edition of Primeira Edicao (http://primeiraedicao.com.br/noticia/2012/02/07/novo-tipo-de-virus-da-dengue-preocupa-em-mt in Portuguese) reported a case of dengue virus type 4 infection in a woman from Varzea Grande, up to now, the 1st case due to that virus serotype in Mato Grosso state. Dengue virus types 1, 2 and 3 have been circulating in the state.
A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map showing the location of Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1pXN. - Mod.TY]
- Paraguay. 10 Feb 2012. A total of 265 dengue cases were confirmed in Paraguay in the course of this year , 171 of whom were reported last week, the Department of Health Surveillance reported on Friday [10 Feb 2012]. The weekly report from the health institution shows that so far, 932 people were attended to at hospitals with symptoms of the disease, 167 of whom were ruled out with lab tests, and 500 are considered as suspicious. The capital and surrounding cities have the highest incidence with 183 confirmed cases, followed by the departments of Concepcion (north west), Alto Palo (east), Amambay (north west), Paraguari (south), Cordillerea (west) and Central (west).
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map of Paraguay can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1l5L. - Mod.TY]
- Bolivia (Santa Cruz department [state or province equivalent]). 9 Feb 2012. Dengue has taken the lives of 3 people, and the number of infected individuals has increased. The director of the Departmental Health Services, Joaquin Monasterio, estimates that there are some 500 confirmed cases and 4000 suspected dengue cases.
http://www.prensa-latina.cu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=476446&Itemid=1 in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY.
[The 5 Feb 2012 edition of La Jornada (http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2012/02/05/103648534-declaran-emergencia-sanitaria-en-bolivia-por-epidemia-de-dengue/ in Spanish) indicated that a health emergency has been declared in Santa Cruz department, and there have been 6 dengue deaths, 328 confirmed cases, and 2928 suspected cases.
A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map showing the location of Santa Cruz department can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/0_ie. - Mod.TY]