Published Date: 2012-05-07 22:25:09
Subject: PRO/EDR> Dengue/DHF update 2012 (19)
Archive Number: 20120507.1124833
DENGUE/DHF UPDATE 2012 (19)
A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
In this update:
Cases in various countries:
India (Ahmedabad, Gujarat state)
Philippines (Zamboanga City, Mindanao)
Ecuador (affected provinces)
Brazil (Ceara state)
Brazil (Niteroi and Rio de Janeiro state)
Brazil (Rio de Janeiro city, Rio de Janeiro state)
Brazil (Mato Grosso do Sul state)
Brazil (Itabuna, Bahia state)
Brazil (Aripuana, Mato Grosso state)
Brazil (Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo state)
- Dominican Republic
Yemen (Hodeida governorate)
Cases in various countries:
- India (Ahmedabad, Gujarat state) state). 5 May 2012. Dengue cases have increased from 48 in January-April last year  to 60 this year .
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Ahmedabad, Gujarat state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1iSU. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Zamboanga City, Mindanao). 4 May 2012. The City Health Office (CH) has called on authorities and the public once again to help intensify its campaign against DHF as the cases in Zamboanga City have reached "high alert" level. City Health Officer Dr Rodelin Agbulos said the dengue cases from 1 Jan-3 May  have reached 654, only 100 cases short before it becomes an outbreak. Of this total, 9 were fatal, Agbulos said. The CHO recorded last year  only a little over 200 cases covering the same period. The dengue mortality recorded last year was 14.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Zamboanga City can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1HUd. - Mod.TY]
- Taiwan. 7 May 2012. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday [6 May 2012] reported the 1st confirmed case of indigenous dengue fever in its epidemic season this year , involving a woman in her 40s from Dagang Village in North District, Greater Tainan. As of Saturday [5 May 2012], there are 14 confirmed cases of indigenous dengue fever this year, but 13 of those were cases that extended from last year's epidemic season, the CDC said, adding that the epidemic season for indigenous dengue fever in the past few years was mainly between June and August. It also said that with the 1st case appearing earlier than previously, and with twice the number of cases from overseas this year -- 58 reported cases before 3 May  compared with 24 cases in the same season last year .
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Taiwan can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2jQN. - Mod.TY]
- Ecuador (national). 6 May 2012. The circulation of the 4 serotypes of dengue virus in Ecuador has been confirmed. The Ministry of Public Health reports 6170 cases of dengue in the 1st 17 weeks of the year , of which 100 are DHF, termed "serious" by the authorities. The report indicates that the disease is present in 24 of the provinces of the country; in 2011 it reached just 17 provinces. In [epidemiological] week 16 [week ending 21 Apr 2012], Carchi had no [dengue] illnesses and in the 17th week had a case. The Galapagos Islands, 1000 km [621 mi] from the continent, have 4 cases. Also, the presence of the Asiatic subtype of dengue virus type in Manabi province is under investigation (until now, only the Americas subtype has been confirmed) and the province is in 2nd place for most cases and 1st place for the number of deaths -- as of last Friday [4 May 2012], 7 of the 14 fatalities reported in Ecuador. Manta and Portoviejo are the most critical cities and have had 39 DHF cases. "This has been a dengue year because I do not recall that in previous years there were so many hospital admissions and deaths as there are now," said one of the nurses of the Rafael Rodriguez Zambrano Hospital.
http://www.eluniverso.com/2012/05/06/1/1447/cuatro-cepas-dengue-atacan-todas-provincias.html [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Ecuador can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1jUf. - Mod.TY]
- Ecuador (affected provinces). 4 May 2012. The 6170 people ill with dengue [virus infections] in the country are in the 24 provinces of the country, according to Bulletin 16 of the Ministry of Health. Of these cases, 100 are DHF. The Ministry reports 10 deaths: 4 in Guayas, 5 in Manabi, and one in Santo Domingo, although the last 2 fatal victims this week in Manabi and another in El Oro are not reported, which bring the total dengue fatalities to 13. The provinces reporting the greatest number of cases continue to be Guayas, with 1699 ill with classical dengue fever and 42 of DHF; Manabi, with 1439 and 32; Los Rios, with 1130 and 2; and El Oro, with 778 and one. Dengue cases in just these 4 provinces total 5123, with 77 DHF cases. The other 1047 cases, of which 23 are DHF, are reported from the other 20 provinces of the country, according to the Ministry of Health.
http://www.eluniverso.com/2012/05/04/1/1447/enfermedad-ya-reporta-24-provincias-pais.html [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A map showing the provinces of Ecuador can be accessed at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/americas/ecuador.gif. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Ceara state). 5 May 2012. Up to yesterday [4 May 2012] the state Secretariat of Health bulletin reported 7563 people with dengue whereas on 27 [Apr 2012] there were 6288. Noteworthy are Fortaleza and Crato municipalities with 4643 (61 per cent and 831 (11 per cent) of the confirmed cases. As for dengue deaths, there are 13 in the state, with 10 of these in Fortaleza. http://diariodonordeste.globo.com/materia.asp?codigo=1133968 [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Ceara state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1A0G. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Niteroi and Rio de Janeiro state). 4 May 2012. As of 28 Apr 2012, there were 76 064 reported suspected dengue cases and 13 confirmed dengue deaths in the state, with a 5 per cent case fatality rate according to the state Secretariat of Health. In 2011, there were 108 130 cases registered in the 1st 17 weeks of the year. The city of Niteroi, within the [Rio] metropolitan region, is also considered in an epidemic situation. When there are more than 300 cases per 100 000 population dengue is considered epidemic. Niteroi has 384 cases per 100 000 population, from January-April with 1951 reported cases of the disease in the city -- 57 due to dengue [virus] type 4, and one death.
http://veja.abril.com.br/noticia/saude/dois-municipios-do-rio-estao-com-epidemia-de-dengue [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Niteroi and Rio de Janeiro cities can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1pX0. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Rio de Janeiro city, Rio de Janeiro state). 2 May 2012. According to the bulletin issued by the city government, there were 945 dengue cases last week [week of 30 Apr 2012], which signifies a 19 per cent increase in relation to the previous week. The total of dengue [virus] infected individuals reached 59 435 [in the city] since the beginning of 2012.
http://odia.ig.com.br/portal/rio/sol-após-chuva-deve-aumentar-casos-de-dengue-1.436555 [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Rio de Janeiro in Rio de Janeiro state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1pW_. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Mato Grosso do Sul state). 29 Apr 2012. In Mato Grosso do Sul state from 1 Jan through April  there were 6282 reported dengue cases, with 1334 confirmed, 10 with complications. Up to now, there was one suspected dengue death in Campo Grande although it is under investigation to determine the cause of death. The state Secretariat of Health confirmed 12 cases of dengue [virus] type 4 [infections] in the state since last month [March 2012]. Of these, there are 11 cases in Campo Grande and one in Corumba. Dengue virus serotypes 1 and 2 [infections] were shown in 12 cases in the cities of Campo Grande, Corumba, Tres Lagoas, Mundo Novo, and Sao Gabriel do Oeste.
http://www.progresso.com.br/caderno-a/mato-grosso-do-sul-confirma-12-casos-de-dengue-4 [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Mato Grosso do Sul state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1AnZ. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Itabuna, Bahia state). 5 May 2012. Itabuna reported 3200 dengue cases from 1 Jan to 4 May , according to numbers from the state and municipal Departments of Epidemiological Surveillance. This southern Bahia municipality is facing the 2nd worst dengue epidemic in its history. None of these 2012 cases resulted in death.
http://www.noticiasdeipiau.com/2012/05/05/itabuna-atinge-32-mil-casos-de-dengue/ [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Itabuna in Bahia state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1Oy*. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Aripuana, Mato Grosso state). 5 May 2012. Since the beginning of 2012, there are less than half the number of registered cases as recorded in the same period of 2011, closing the 1st months of the year  with 180 cases.
http://www.topnews.com.br/noticias_ver.php?id=11655 [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Aripuana in Mato Grosso state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2jQO. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo state). 3 May 2012. Since the beginning of this year through April , the number of dengue cases in Ribeirao Preto reached 119 versus 14 540 during the same period in 2011, according to the municipal Secretariat of Health. The Secretary of Health, Stenio Miranda, stated that the disease is under control in the city, but indicated that it is necessary to continue preventive measures.
http://www.jornalacidade.com.br/editorias/cidades/2012/05/03/ribeirao-esta-livre-de-epidemia-de-dengue-diz-secretario.html [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Ribeirao Preto in Sao Paulo can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1Ao3. - Mod.TY]
- Paraguay. 4 May 2012. The health system has registered 30 dengue deaths, and another 39 are under investigation said the Minister of Health in a press conference. He indicated that there are 19 298 reported cases of which 10 827 are positive for dengue [virus infections]. Of the 19 000 reported cases, more than 13 000 are in the area of the capital [Asuncion], the only area where dengue [virus] types 2 and 4 are circulating, with type 2 predominant. http://www.diariopopular.com.py/?q=node/122362 [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Paraguay can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1l5K. - Mod.TY]
- Dominican Republic. 5 May 2012. The Dominican Republic has registered 381 dengue cases and 2 dengue deaths. The provinces that have active circulation of dengue [virus] are: Puerto Plata, Monsenor Nouel, Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Maria Trinidad Sanchez, Espaillat, Valverde, and Duarte.
http://proceso.com.do/generales/4167-unos-381-casos-de-dengue-se-registran-este-ano-en-el-pais.html [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of the Dominican Republic can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1Hgf. - Mod.TY]
- Cook Islands. 4 May 2012. 3 cases of dengue fever have been confirmed on Rarotonga in the Cook Islands and while public health officials expect more victims, they are asking people to be alert but not alarmed. All the confirmed cases emanate from Rarotonga so far, but because the 3 infected individuals come from different parts of the island officials expect more cases will surface. The Cook Islands News reports the latest cases of the mosquito-borne [virus] disease are the 1st to be recorded in the Cook Islands since 2009.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of the Cook Islands can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2jQL. - Mod.TY]
- Yemen (Hodeida governorate). 3 May 2012. Dengue fever infection increased in Al-Lohaia district, overlooking the Red Sea, in the south west of the coastal governorate of Hodeida. Around 67 people in the village of Deer Al-Dokhna in Al-Lohaia district complain symptoms of the dengue fever, but it has not been confirmed yet whether they have the virus or not. Laboratory tests of 12 people from the village showed that only 4 people were dengue fever [virus] infected and no people died, according to Dr Sultan Al-Maqtari, the director of the Epidemic Surveillance Center in Hodeida. "There are more than 1000 infected people," claimed Ishaq Salah, from the Tehama People's Union.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of the Hodeida [Al Hudaydah] governorate can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2jQM. - Mod.TY]