Published Date: 2012-07-04 02:42:39
Subject: PRO/EDR> Dengue/DHF update 2012 (27)
Archive Number: 20120704.1189075
DENGUE/DHF UPDATE 2012 (27)
A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
In this update:
 Cases in various countries
India (Bangalore, Karnataka state)
India (Bangalore, Karnataka state, deaths)
India (Kolar district, Karnataka state)
Philippines (Negros Oriental province)
Philippines (Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental province)
Philippines (Davao region)
Yemen (Hodeidah, Al Hudaydah Governorate)
Brazil (Ilheus, Itabuna)
Mexico (Tamaulipas state)
Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo)
Date: Wed 27 Jun 2012
Source: The Phnom Penh Post [edited]
Dengue fever killed 8 people in the past 2 weeks, an alarming figure which should put the public on alert to prevent a outbreak like the one in 2007, government officials said yesterday [26 Jun 2012]. The death toll now stands at 38 through the 1st 25 weeks of the year , and public health facilities have reported 8843 dengue cases in the Kingdom, with 1642 cases in the past 2 weeks alone.
The updated numbers came from National Dengue Control Program director Ngan Chanta, who had received updated records and described weeks 24 to 27 of the year  as a "big peak of dengue", pointing to spikes in both cases and deaths.
"This year  has the same pattern as 2007," he said, but added that a similar outbreak remains unlikely. In 2007, the country experienced a particularly severe dengue epidemic, with 39 861 cases, and a fatality rate of more than one per cent. About 20 000 of the cases were reported in the 1st half of the year.
But this year , according to Ngan Chanta, fewer cases are being reported because of the success of the national campaign to kill larvae, and the dengue death rate has been cut to below 0.5 per cent.
This year , 140 tonnes of larvicide have been distributed, and another 150 tons are planned for July and August. This represents double the amount applied in 2007. "Because of the efforts we make to fight dengue, this year's  death rate is much lower [than in 2007]," Ngan Chanta said.
The official added that delays in data collection may have distorted the numbers, and the public can expect to see a drop in new cases after the 28th week.
[byline: Xiaoqing Pi]
[According to the newswire above, a total of 8843 cases and 38 deaths due to dengue infection were reported in Cambodia during the 1st 25 weeks of 2012. Of these, 7201 cases and 30 deaths were reported in the 1st 23 weeks of 2012 (see prior PRO/MBDS posting Dengue - Cambodia (07) 20120626.1451).
In Cambodia, 2 major epidemics of dengue occurred after 1997: there were 16 260 cases in 1998 and 39 618 in 2007. At present, there is no vaccine to protect against dengue. The method to control or prevent the transmission of dengue virus is to combat vector mosquitoes through several actions. For example, preventing mosquitoes from accessing egg-laying habitats by environmental management and modification (see:
For a map of Cambodia with provinces, see http://ephotopix.com/image/asia/cambodia_province_map.gif. For the interactive HealthMap/ProMED-mail map with links to other recent PRO/MBDS and ProMED-mail postings on Cambodia and neighboring countries, see http://healthmap.org/r/1iGB. - Mod.SCM]
 Cases in various countries:
- India (Bangalore, Karnataka state). 27 Jun 2012. As many as 92 patients have tested positive for dengue at the Baptist Hospital, Hebbal, in June and more than 20 cases were reported in May . According to the doctors at the hospital, the number of cases were increasing gradually and most of the patients were between 20 and 50 years of age. There has been a considerable increase in the paediatric cases, with nearly 30 per cent of the total number of cases confirming dengue. http://www.deccanherald.com/content/260207/92-test-positive-dengue.htm
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Bangalore can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1Hg8. - Mod.TY]
- India (Bangalore, Karnataka state, deaths). 26 Jun 2012. In Karntaka, 5 people have lost their lives to dengue [virus infections] since January 2012, but none in Bangalore. The city has reported 45 positive cases of dengue. In the last 14 days, there have been 13 positive cases reported in the city. There were 10 cases reported in the month of May.
- India (Kolar district, Karnataka state). 27 Jun 2012. Dengue has claimed 45 lives in the district so far this year , according to Dr G Prakash, Kumar, district health officer. In his report submitted to the Zilla Panchayat on 21 Jun , he had stated that 32 cases of dengue deaths were reported and in 4 days it has increased to 45.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2GIr. - Mod.TY]
- India (Delhi). 25 Jun 2012. The official count of dengue cases has gone up to 6. This time the cases have started to be reported even before the onset of monsoon, indicating that the disease might spread severely. 2 new cases of dengue have been reported in Max Life Care hospital in Dwarka, south west Delhi. Dr Nitendra Singh, the treating doctor for both, has confirmed the finding. Both the patients belong to the same family from Pochanpur Village.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Delhi can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/01Jf. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Negros Oriental province). 26 Jun 2012. Dengue cases in Negros Oriental have reached an alarming level with 296 cases and 2 deaths recorded for the 1st semester of this year , said Assistant Provincial Health Officer Dr. Felix Sy of Negros Oriental Health Office. Most of the the dengue victims are aged 21 and above, and both female and male almost equally represented. Sy said the January to June 2012 record is 22 per cent higher than in the same period of last year  with 232 cases and zero deaths.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Negros Oriental province can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2rcP. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental province). 21 Jun 2012. The number of dengue cases in Cagayan de Oro City since January this year has reached 600, according to data from the Department of Health (DOH). From January to June , DOH said dengue cases have increased at an alarming rate compared to the same period last year. In 2011, only 269 cases of dengue were reported in the 1st 6 months of the year. But this year, the number has climbed to 640.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental province, can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1EzM. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Davao region). 25 Jun 2012. The Department of Health (DOH) in Davao Region announced on Monday the 108 per cent increase in dengue cases for the 1st semester of 2012 compared with the same period last year . DOH Regional Director Abdullah Dumama, speaking in Monday's [25 Jun 2012] Kapehan sa Dabaw at SM City, said it recorded a total of 3083 dengue cases from January to June this year  as compared to only 1363 cases of the same period last year.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of the Davao region can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2GIP. - Mod.TY]
- Yemen (Hodeidah, Al Hudaydah Governorate). 4 Jun 2012. About 30 people died of dengue fever and 1200 are infected by this epidemic in the port governorate of Hodeidah. According to Yemen Fox, al-Thawra hospital in Hodeida had registered over 50 new cases in less than a week, affirming that about 10 cases were being reported per day since last Monday [28 May 2012].
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Hodeidah, Al Hudaydah Governorate can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/0xiP. - Mod.TY]
- Ecuador. 29 Jun 2012. The latest report from the Ministry of Public Health indicated that between epidemiological weeks 23 and 24 this year , in Manabi, dengue cases increased from 2753 to 3478. The provincial director of health in Manabi, Carminia Pinargote, stated that from January to this past 20 Jul , the updated number is above 3000. The report from the Ministry stated that between epidemiological weeks 23 and 24 this year , the national figures went from 9982 to 11 052 in the 24 provinces, for an increase of 1070 dengue cases during this period.
http://www.eluniverso.com/2012/06/29/1/1447/ratifico-nino-fallecido-portoviejo-tenia-dengue.html in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Ecuador can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/00El. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Ilheus, Bahia state). 27 Jun 2012. The number of dengue cases increased 60 per cent in the past 30 days. Reported cases, 900 at the end of May , reached 1495 this Tuesday [26 Jun 2012]. At the beginning of this month, Ilheus had no dengue cases. With the large number of cases in recent days there has been an increase of 2.26 per cent compared to this period last year . Between 1 Jan and 26 Jun of last year  there were 1462 dengue cases. This year  there are 14 reported DHF cases of which 12 cases are confirmed. With 224 reported cases, Malhado is the place leading with the number of people who have contracted dengue [virus infections] in 2012. Conquista is in 2nd place with 173 cases.
http://www2.uol.com.br/aregiao/2012/06/entry_7142.html in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Ilheus in Bahia state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1E11. - Mod.TY]
- Mexico (Tamaulipas state). 28 Jun 2012. The southern area of Tamaulipas state may face a situation similar to that of 2005, when more than 6000 dengue cases were registered. Tampico has registered 14 cases of classical dengue fever and 2 of DHF, while in Madero, 12 classical dengue fever cases have been attended to with 6 of DHF.
http://conexiontotal.mx/2012/06/28/amenaza-epidemia-de-dengue-al-sur-de-tamaulipas-salud/ in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY.
[The ratio of DHF cases to classical dengue fever cases in Madero is unusually high, suggesting significant underreporting of the classical cases.
A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Tamaulipas state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/0eVp. - Mod.TY]
- Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo). 27 Jun 2012. There is a new fatal case of dengue in Santo Domingo, bringing the number of fatal cases to 3. In the school, there are 20 cases involving students and some teachers have become ill, also. The Ministry of Health reported 10 cases in another school, of which 4 have been confirmed as dengue virus infections.
http://www.cre.com.ec/Desktop.aspx?Id=143&e=166334 in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Santo Domingo can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2DHc. - Mod.TY]